Should I obtain a Lawful Development Certificate for my extension or property alteration, and how do I apply for it?

Applying for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) is important if you want to officially confirm that the proposed work on your property, such as an extension or alteration, is lawful under Permitted Development Rights (PDR) and does not require planning permission. It’s highly advisable for homeowners seeking to ensure the legality of their construction projects under Permitted Development Rights. 

An LDC provides formal recognition from the local planning authority that the work complies with planning laws, thereby avoiding potential legal complications. This certificate is particularly valuable when selling the property, as it reassures potential buyers of the work's compliance and can also be crucial if disputes arise with neighbours or local officials regarding the development's legality. Thus, securing an LDC offers peace of mind and safeguards the investment made in the property.

Lawful Development Certificate

Should I obtain a Lawful Development Certificate for my extension or property alteration?

Yes, obtaining a Lawful Development Certificate is a good idea to mitigate any buyer concerns about regulatory compliance when you sell your property.

What is a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC)

A Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) is an official document issued by a local planning authority that certifies a particular use of a building or building works, such as extensions or conversions, is lawful for planning purposes. Homeowners often apply for an LDC to confirm that their proposed or existing project does not require planning permission and complies with planning regulations. This can be crucial for validating that developments are legal if challenged and is beneficial when selling the property, as it reassures potential buyers of the project's compliance with planning laws.

Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Lawful Development Certificate

Here’s the 8 step guide on how to get that all important Lawful Development Certificate.

1. Check Local Requirements

  • Contact your local planning authority (LPA) or visit their website to understand specific requirements and obtain the necessary forms. Each LPA might have slightly different procedures or additional local criteria.

2. Gather Documentation

  • Prepare detailed drawings of the proposed development, including site plans, elevations, and floor plans with dimensions.
  • Include a block plan showing the development in relation to the property boundaries.
  • Provide a written description of the proposed use or development.
  • Collect evidence that the development is permitted under PDR, such as measurements proving that the extension falls within size limits.

3. Complete the Application Form

  • Fill out the application form for a Lawful Development Certificate provided by your local council. This form requires details about the property, the applicant, and the specifics of the proposed development.

4. Submit Additional Details

  • You may need to submit photographs of the existing site and surroundings to provide context to the application.
  • If your proposal involves a change in the building or land use, provide evidence supporting this change is lawful under PDR.

5. Pay the Application Fee

  • There is usually a fee associated with the application for an LDC. The fee can vary depending on the local council and the type of application. Check the fee structure on your LPA’s website or contact them directly.

6. Submit the Application

  • Submit the completed application form, supporting documents, and the required fee to your local planning authority. This can often be done online through the council’s planning portal or submitted in hard copy by post.

7. LPA Review

  • The local planning authority will review your application. During this period, they may contact you for further information or clarification.
  • The LPA has eight weeks to decide on an application for a Lawful Development Certificate. However, this period can be extended if both the applicant and the LPA agree in writing.

8. Receive Your Decision

  • If your application is approved, you will receive a Lawful Development Certificate, confirming that your proposed works are lawful and do not require planning permission.
  • If denied, you will receive reasons for the refusal, and you can consider modifying your plans and reapplying, or you may appeal the decision.

Key points

  1. Accuracy is Key.
    If possible, ensure all plans and documents are accurate and professionally drawn, as the LPA will base their decision on this information.
  2. Consult Professionals.
    It may be beneficial to consult with a planning consultant or architect to ensure your application is as strong as possible.

Obtaining an LDC can provide peace of mind by officially confirming that your development is legal, and it can be invaluable when selling the property or clarifying any disputes about its legality in the future.

What are Permitted Development Rights?

Permitted Development Rights (PDR) enable specific building works and changes of use, like home extensions or converting offices to residential areas, without needing planning permission. These rights, granted by the UK government, simplify the planning process for minor or uncontroversial changes within specific limits, enhancing flexibility for property owners. Regulatory oversight is maintained, and consultations with local authorities are vital in restricted areas like conservation zones to ensure compliance. 

Certain modifications like home extensions, agricultural developments, and changes of use don't require planning permission under Permitted Development Rights, but they must follow specific rules. Homeowners can construct single-storey extensions, loft conversions, and some two-storey extensions with limitations and after consulting neighbours. Agricultural structures can usually be built or expanded freely. Additionally, certain buildings, such as offices, may be converted to residential use without needing planning permission.


Can I start work under Permitted Development Rights (PDR) without a Lawful Development Certificate?

Yes, but its not advised. You can develop under the Permitted Development Rights without a Lawful Development Certificate however starting construction without it is not advised as it risks your property.

Is it easy to get a Lawful Development Certificate?

Obtaining a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) can be straightforward if your project clearly complies with all the relevant Permitted Development Rights (PDR) criteria and you provide all the required documentation correctly. However, the ease of obtaining an LDC also depends on the complexity of your project and the specific requirements of your local planning authority.

How Long Does It Take?

The process typically takes up to 8 weeks from the date of submission of a complete and accurate application. This timeframe is set by law, and local planning authorities are required to make a decision within this period. If additional information is needed or if there are complications with the application, the process might take longer. Sometimes, the planning authority might agree in writing to extend the deadline to allow for a thorough consideration of the application.

Final thoughts

Securing a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) is highly recommended for any homeowner planning extensions or alterations under Permitted Development Rights (PDR). An LDC provides official validation from your local planning authority that your project complies with planning laws, thereby avoiding future legal issues and adding value to your property by reassuring potential buyers of the project's legality. To apply, you need to submit detailed plans, a written description, and other relevant documentation to your local planning authority, along with the application fee. This proactive step not only confirms the legality of your development but also protects your investment, offering significant peace of mind.


We use cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies. For more information, please read our privacy policy.

Okay, got it!